Thursday, July 2, 2009

Jamal Reed; Forensic Journalist, Master of Technology?

By Katya Waters

College is big, and Jamal Reed is torn. Should he major in forensics? Maybe. Technology? Possibly. Journalism? Interesting.

“I like journalism,” he said, “because of the writing and experiences you can get from it.”

Reed has plans ready for his big college decision by taking studying seriously in high school. “I find my strong and weak points of focus, which helps me solve my gaps in learning.”

He says he realizes the whole reason for moving to Central New York to live with his sister was to focus on school and become successful. “Moving from NYC to Central New York was me changing my past to a future,” he said.

Will Reed be ready for the stress of college? His life in New York City was good preparation for what lies ahead.

“I feel like college is my key to unlock my success,” he says.

His mother back in New York City supports his goals and told him she believes the move was the best choice for him. If he graduates from high school, he can return to New York City to live with his mother and his two brothers and sisters.

Reed says he has some down time and loves to spend it at the mall at his favorite store, H&M. He also loves to write poetry, which he uses to stay fresh with writing ideas for journalism. He keeps himself in shape for football and basketball seasons which he competes in at Fowler High School. In the spring he runs track.

This summer, Reed will work in a job on the SU campus.

“Football and basketball are my motivation to succeed in life,” he says.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment